Adrien clutches onto 3rd in the standings. One round to go.
Stage four of Rally Kazakhstan proved to be highly positive for the Monster Energy Yamaha Rally Team with all racers completing the special stage with a strong result. The sandy terrain found on the penultimate stage was to the liking of Vanbeveren, now looking ahead to the final day of racing.
As the second rider to enter stage four, Adrien Van Beveren quickly moved forwards to open the special after just three kilometres. Remaining as the leading rider through to the end of the stage and despite leaving clear wheel tracks in the sandy soil for the chasing riders to follow, the Frenchman lost very little time due to his impressive navigational skills. Going on to complete the special as the fifth fastest rider, with just one stage remaining Van Beveren sits third in the overall provisional classification with a comfortable margin over the riders behind him.
Tomorrow’s final 267-kilometre stage provides one last challenging day in the saddle for all competitors. Beginning on sandy terrain, the fast, hardpack conditions found early on in the rally will return. After riders reach the 158km mark, speeds will decrease with rocky plateaus and technical descents providing a distinct change of pace. Accurate navigation is essential in order to successfully complete Rally Kazakhstan.
"What a great day. I opened the stage after three kilometres when Sam Sunderland made a mistake and then I stayed at the front until the end so to finish fifth on the stage is a great result for me. It’s never great to be opening a stage in the sand but I was smart and pushed the whole time and it’s really rewarding to know that my navigation is on point. It’s been a great week for the team and the focus is now on tomorrow and finishing on the podium with Ross."
Rally Kazakhstan 2021:
Stage 4 Provisional Classification:
1. Skyler Howes (Husqvarna) 3:26:48
2. Matthias Walkner (KTM) 3:29:01 + 0:02:13
3. Daniel Sanders (GASGAS) 3:30:54 + 0:04:06
4. Ross Branch (Yamaha) 3:32:18 + 0:05:30
5. Adrien Van Beveren (Yamaha) 3:35:15 + 0:08:27
6. Joaquim Rodrigues (Hero) 3:35:23 + 0:08:35
Overall Provisional Classification (after stage 4):
1. Ross Branch (Yamaha) 13:18:04
2. Matthias Walkner (KTM) 13:22:09 + 0:04:05
3. Adrien Van Beveren (Yamaha) 13:27:28 + 0:09:24
4. Sam Sunderland (KTM) 13:32:47 + 0:14:43
5. Andrew Short (Yamaha) 13:47:12 + 0:29:08
6. Daniel Sanders (GASGAS) 13:49:14 + 0:31:10