Dakar Rally - Stage 3 :Van Beveren 9th in overall classification
Stage three of the 2021 Dakar Rally was a challenging loop stage located to the south of the bivouac near Wadi Ad-Dawasir. The 403-kilometre special within the 629 km stage featured a variety of terrain, combining technical canyons with sand dunes, linked together with high-speed sections that required all competitors to draw upon their skills and experience to secure a strong result.
Adrien Van Beveren was incredibly consistent on stage three as he posted sector times just outside the top 10 throughout the special, despite not enjoying the higher overall speeds found on the third day of racing. Placing 16th and with the provisional classification now tightening up at the head of the field, Van Beveren remains among the leading riders in ninth overall and will enjoy an advantageous starting position for tomorrow’s stage four.
Adrien Van Beveren
"Today’s stage was quite fast but mixed with some technical slower sections. I’m happy with my riding though, consistent through the stage which is really important, so I am pleased with this. I focused on my navigation today and made no mistakes, so everything is going in the right direction. Tomorrow is another day and I’m looking forward to it."
Stage four of the 2021 Dakar Rally will be the longest of the event at 813 kilometres, ensuring plenty of time in the saddle for all competitors. After completing one of the shortest specials of the rally with a timed section of 337 kilometres, riders will arrive in the Saudi Arabian capital city of Riyadh.
Dakar Rally 2021:
Stage 3 Provisional Classification:
1. Toby Price (KTM) 3:33:23
2. Kevin Benavides (Honda) 3:34:39 + 0:01:16
3. Matthias Walkner (KTM) 3:35:59 + 0:02:36
4. Skyler Howes (KTM) 3:39:39 + 0:06:16
5. Sam Sunderland (KTM) 3:41:47 + 0:08:24
6. Xavier de Soultrait (Husqvarna) 3:42:13 + 0:08:50
7. Franco Caimi (Yamaha) 3:43:27 + 0:10:04
14. Jamie McCanney (Yamaha) 3:48:50 + 0:15:27
16. Adrien Van Beveren (Yamaha) 3:49:45 + 0:16:22
Overall Provisional Classification (after stage 3):
1. Joan Barreda (Honda) 8:15:38
2. Ricky Brabec (Honda) 8:22:01 + 0:06:23
3. Ross Branch (Yamaha) 8:22:15 + 0:06:37
4. Pablo Quintanilla (Husqvarna) 8:22:54 + 0:07:16
5. Xavier de Soultrait (Husqvarna) 8:24:03 + 0:08:25
6. Adrien Van Beveren (Yamaha) 8:24:12 + 0:08:34