Van Beveren 5th in Day one of Andalucia Rally 2020
With all riders competing for the first time in international rally competition since the Dakar Rally in January, Adrien Van Beveren secured the team’s best result in fourth, just five minutes down on Argentinian Kevin Benavides, who topped the day’s results.
Very much a day of re-adjusting to rally competition following the many months away from competition, stage one delivered tough navigation and tricky way points, ensuring all riders were made to focus on their navigation intently. Despite a small mistake during yesterday’s short prologue, Adrien Van Beverencame though stage one in impressive form to make a solid start to his Andalucia Rally campaign. Like many riders, needing a little time to settle into his rhythm while focusing on the demanding navigation, Van Beveren went on to post the fifth fastest time of the day.
"It was a solid start to the Andalucia Rally. It took me until around 50km in to settle in and ride a bit looser, but with so much time off that’s normal. I then just focused on my technique and felt good on the bike. Navigation was super-tricky. It wasn’t easy to find the balance between navigation and speed but overall it was a positive day. I did make a couple of mistakes and lost a couple of minutes so tomorrow I will try to remain calm through stage two."
Stage 1 Provisional Classification:
1. Kevin Benavides (Honda) 3:21:17
2. Joan Barreda (Honda) 3:24:32 + 0:03:15
3. Lorenzo Santolino (Sherco) 3:24:36 + 0:03:19
4. Xavier de Soultrait (Husqvarna) 3:26:25 + 0:05:08
5. Adrien Van Beveren (Yamaha) 3:26:57 + 0:05:40
6. Franco Caimi (Yamaha) 3:27:52 + 0:06:35
Overall Provisional Classification (after stage 1):
1. Kevin Benavides (Honda) 3:28:00
2. Joan Barreda (Honda) 3:31:14 + 0:03:14
3. Lorenzo Santolino (Sherco) 3:31:18 + 0:03:18
4. Xavier de Soultrait (Husqvarna) 3:33:08 + 0:05:08
5. Adrien Van Beveren (Yamaha) 3:33:36 + 0:05:36
6. Franco Caimi (Yamaha) 3:34:30 + 0:06:30
SSS | Oct 6 | Villamartin to Villamartin | Total: 13 km | SS: 10 km
Stage 1 | Oct 7 | Villamartin to Villamartin | Total: 309 km | SS: 240 km
Stage 2 | Oct 8 | Villamartin to Villamartin | Total: 365 km | SS: 270 km
Stage 3 | Oct 9 | Villamartin to Villamartin | Total: 434 km | SS: 300 km
Stage 4 | Oct 10 | Villamartin to Villamartin | Total: 233 km | SS: 210 k