Thor Race report: Glenn Coldenhoff makes history with Team Netherlands MXON victory.
THOR racer, Glenn Coldenhoff, has taken his country to an astounding victory in the 73rd edition of the coveted Motocross of Nations in Assen.
CHaving missed out on what looked like certain victory in RedBud last year, the Dutch Team consisting of Glenn Coldenhoff, Jeffrey Herlings and Calvin Vlaanderen made it a Dutch show in front of His Majesty King of The Netherlands Willem-Alexander.
With weather conditions making the race somewhat of a lottery organizers did their best to keep the track ride able however that did not deter the international crowd who packed the Assen TT grandstands to cheer on their respective countries.
Coldenhoff’s perfect score of 1-1 assured Team Netherlands of their first ever MXON victory. Justin Cooper rocketed to victory in the MX2 class qualification race on Saturday to assure Team USA were in the running. A first moto crash and injured hand would make it nearly impossible to challenge the Dutch for victory however Cooper showed his heart but coming out for the second moto to salvage points for the USA. Thor rider Ivo Monticelli rode to an impressive 7th in the first moto to place Italy in the running however a tough 3rd moto would see the Italians fall out of the top ten results.
Team Australia with Thor riders, Kyle Webster and Regan Duffy looked impressive in the Saturday qualification races as Australia qualified 4th however the Assen lottery dealt them a harsh blow and put them out of the running.
Team South Africa achieved their first qualification for the MXON final in almost a decade with Michael Docherty and Lloyd Vercueil flying the flag for THOR.
Next year’s MXON will take place on the hillside circuit of Ernee in France.
Race 1 (MXGP + MX2) Top Te:
1. Tim Gajser (SLO, Honda), 35:30.085;
2. Jeffrey Herlings (NED, KTM), +0:00.897;
3. Jorge Prado (ESP, KTM), +0:18.909;
4. Jeremy Seewer (SUI, Yamaha), +0:20.095;
5. Gautier Paulin (FRA, Yamaha), +0:30.079;
6. Jeremy Van Horebeek (BEL, Honda), +0:35.526;
7. Ivo Monticelli (ITA, KTM), +0:38.577;
8. Thomas Kjer Olsen (DEN, Husqvarna), +1:14.026;
9. Hakon Fredriksen (NOR, Yamaha), +1:50.041;
10. Calvin Vlaanderen (NED, Honda), +1:56.915.
Race 2 (MX2 + Open) Top Ten:
1. Glenn Coldenhoff (NED, KTM), 34:33.354;
2. Pauls Jonass (LAT, Husqvarna), +0:05.180;
3. Shaun Simpson (GBR, KTM), +0:41.404;
4. Harri Kullas (EST, Honda), +1:08.922;
5. Zachary Osborne (USA, Husqvarna), +1:26.808;
6. Jordi Tixier (FRA, KTM), +1:29.976;
7. Jago Geerts (BEL, Yamaha), +1:30.723;
8. Thomas Kjer Olsen (DEN, Husqvarna), +1:34.713;
9. Dennis Ullrich (GER, Husqvarna), +1:45.868;
10. Calvin Vlaanderen (NED, Honda), +1:52.114.
Race 3 (MXGP + Open) Top Ten:
1. Glenn Coldenhoff (NED, KTM), 34:25.687;
2. Tim Gajser (SLO, Honda), +0:02.489;
3. Pauls Jonass (LAT, Husqvarna), +0:41.867;
4. Jeffrey Herlings (NED, KTM), +0:51.947;
5. Jeremy Seewer (SUI, Yamaha), +0:55.224;
6. Jeremy Van Horebeek (BEL, Honda), +1:02.603;
7. Jorge Prado (ESP, KTM), +1:15.893;
8. Jason Anderson (USA, Husqvarna), +1:22.934;
9. Nathan Watson (GBR, KTM), +1:24.650;
10. Shaun Simpson (GBR, KTM), +2:12.110.
1. Team Netherlands 18 points,
2. Team Belgium 47 points,
3. Team Great Britain 58 points,
4. Team Estonia 64 points,
5. Team France 68 points,
6. Team USA 68 points,
7. Team Germany 72 points,
8. Team Latvia 73 points,
9. Team Spain 73 points,
10. Team Denmark 77 points.