TOUGH WEEKEND FOR KEMEA
After a great Grand Prix in Argentina and solid results in the Netherlands, Kemea Yamaha went through a tough Grand Prix in Spain. Bad starts (Watson & Brylyakov) and crashes (Geerts in both motos) made work very difficult on the fast track of Redsand. Watson was the only Kemea Yamaha rider to finish inside the top 10 overall.
The first moto was the worst of the season with only Watson in top 15 (14th). Brylyakov couldn't move up the field (20th), while Geerts crashed and had to come back from almost last (21st).
The Kemea-boys came out stronger in the second moto. This time Watson and Brylyakov were - again after a bad start - able to get back into the top 10, finishing eighth and tenth. Geerts couldn't avoid a crash in front of him and had to fight back from way back again. This time the 17-year-old Belgian was able to get back into the points (17th).
"I had ups and downs all weekend. My first moto felt like a joke. I couldn't find myself on the track. I had no pace, made too many mistakes. Very frustrating. I had more fun in the second moto. In the first lap I got stuck in other peoples bikes when they crashed. This time I could find my way back, made some good passes. It was a good comeback to tenth place. I'm still far from the level where I want to be. But the season is still long. I need more speed, more confidence."
"This is my first bummer of the season. Of course, I knew this day would eventually arrive, because this is my first season in MX2. I crashed two times. In the first moto it was my own fault, in the second moto I couldn't avoid a rider that crashed in front of me. On exactly the same spot as in the first moto. Now I have to change my focus to my studies again. I have three exams this week, including mathematics. I studied every evening here in Spain."
"On the one hand, I'm disappointed in my results. On the other hand, I'm quite happy with the riding itself. At this fast track is was very important to get a good start. Unfortunately, my starts let me down in both motos. I had to work very hard to gain some positions. Not easy, because it was very difficult to pass on this track. I need to take the positive things about this Grand Prix and that was the riding itself. Now it's my job to get those starts better as soon as possible."
"We must be honest: this was a very tough weekend for Kemea Yamaha. Especially the first moto was bad. Redsand is a fast track with lots of jumps. We knew that a good start was crucial. On Saturday our boys started pretty well, but they couldn't repeat that on Sunday. So, they had to fight back. In the first moto they were not really able to come back strong. Moto two was better. They found better lines and were more aggressive. I think it's more a mental problem. They should have more self confidence."
First heat MX2:
1. Pauls Jonass (Lat/KTM)
2. Jorge Prado (Spa/KTM) + 0:03.886
3. Thomas Kjer Olsen (Dan/Hus) + 0:05.319
4. Conrad Mewse (GBr/KTM) +0:06.553
5. Hunter Lawrence (Aus/Hon) +0:07.313
14. BEN WATSON (GBr/Yam) +0:50.502
20. VSEVOLOD BRYLYAKOV (Rus/Yam) + 1:05.989
24. JAGO GEERTS (Bel/Yam) +1:19.452
Second heat MX2:
1. Pauls Jonass (Lat/KTM)
2. Darian Sanayei (USA/Kaw) +0:07.775
3. Jorge Prado (Spa/KTM) +0:12.139
4. Thomas Kjer Olsen (Dan/Hus) +12.556
5. Hunter Lawrence (Aus/Hon) +0:22.616
8. BEN WATSON (GBr/Yam) +0:33.527
10. VSEVOLOD BRYLYAKOV (Rus/Yam) +0:52.751
17. JAGO GEERTS (Bel/Yam) +1:14.855.
1. Pauls Jonass (Lat/KTM) 50
2. Jorge Prado (Spa/KTM) 42
3. Thomas Kjer Olsen (Dan/Hus) 38
4. Darian Sanayei (USA/Kaw) 37
5. Hunter Lawrence (Aus/Hon) 32
9. BEN WATSON (GBr/Yam) 20
14. VSEVOLOD BRYLYAKOV (Rus/Yam) 12
21. GEERTS (Bel/Yam) 4
Championship classification MX2:
1. Pauls Jonass (Lat/KTM) 150
2. Thomas Kjer Olsen (Dan/Hus) 120
3. Jorge Prado (Spa/KTM) 105
4. Hunter Lawrence (Aus/Hon) 99
5. Conrad Mewse (GBr/KTM) 81
6. BEN WATSON (GBr/Yam) 81
10. VSEVOLOD BRYLYAKOV (Rus/Yam) 54
11. JAGO GEERTS (Bel/Yam) 50