Viladoms chooses for safe result in Stage 3 of Dakar.
Stage 3 of the Dakar Rally between the towns of San Juan and Chilecito, consisted of 437 kilometers liaison, with a 220km were special. The majestic landscapes of red earth at the foot of the Andes mountains, took riders through rocky riverbeds plagued with potholes.
Jordi Viladoms ended the special today in ninth place with a total time of 2h39m04s..
Riders will leave Argentina for Stage 4 tomorrow as they enter Chile riding from Chilecito to Copiapo. A total route of 909 km, 315 km of timed special and a dramatic change in terrain as they will enter the infamous Atacama Desert with it¹s unrelenting dunes.
"I was expecting more difficilties with navigation, especially in the first 100 kilometers, but it didn¹t turn out that way. In the second part of the stage terrain changed and we were faced withrivers with lots of rocks and sand, and I did not want to take risks keeping an eye on tomorrow's stage in the dunes. I'm still feeling strong and have kept a safe pace. Especially after the long and difficult stage yesterday. Today's stage was similar to the first day, and for me it was important not to make mistakes and put the focus on the long stage tomorrow."
CLASSIFICATION STAGE 3 – San Juan to Chilecito 437 km liaison, 220 km special (657 km):
1. Matthias Walkner (Austria, KTM): 2h:34m:28s
2. Marc Coma (ESP, KTM): +00m:40s
3. Joan Barreda (ESP, Honda): +01m:53s
4. Toby Price (AUS, KTM): +02m:45s
5. Paolo Goncalves (POR, Honda): +02m:49s
6. Alain Duclos (FRA, Sherco): +03m:11s
7. Ruben Faria (POR, KTM): +03m:24s
8. Jeremias Israel Esquerre (CHI, Honda): +04m:02s
9. Jordi Viladoms (ESP, KTM): +04m:36s
10. Joan Pedrero (ESP, Yamaha)
OVERALL STANDINGS AFTER STAGE 3:
1. Barreda: 09h:43m:05s
2. Goncalves: +05m:33s
3. Walkner: +10m:33s
4. Coma: +10m:50s
5. Faria: +12m:10s
6. Price: +12m:24s
7. Viladoms: +14m:07s
8. Israel-Esquerre: +18m:33s
9. Rodrigues: +18m:34s
10. Pedrero: +23m:02s