Jordi Viladoms moves up to 5th place in the overall standings
The fourth stage of the Dakar has taken riders onto Chilean soil leaving behind Argentina and in the process the change in country has also brought a change in terrain. A climb to an altitude of 4,800 meters of the Paso de San Francisco with a decent on western side of the Andes into the Atacama Desert put riders to the test.
The Rally¹s second longest stage of 909 kilometers with a 315km special was very technical with riders having to navigate the very stony slopes before decending into the dreaded Atacama Desert with 40km of the giant Dunes overwhelming competitiors.
Viladoms reached the finish on his KTM 450 Rally in 4th place with a total time of 3h38m12s and is now placed 5th overall in the standings.
Stage 5 of the race between Copiapo and Antofagasta will consist of 697 kilometers, with a 458km special.
"It was a tough day - we went through the Andes and the altitude factor worried me but in the end I didn't experience any problems. Navigation has been very difficult especially today with the log liason. I had to stay focused and try not to make mistakes. We struggled to find one of the waypoints and I lost a little time, but I'm very happy with the result because it allows me to climb the overall standings."
CLASSIFICATION STAGE 4 – Chilecito to Copiapó 594 km liaison, 315 km special (909 km):
1. Joan Barreda (ESP, Honda): 03h:27m:28s
2. Marc Coma (ESP, KTM): +01h:59s
3. Pablo Quintanilla (CHI, KTM): +02h:49s
4. Jordi Viladoms (ESP, KTM): +10h:44s
5. Ruben Faria (POR, KTM): +10h:55s
6. Javier Pizzolito (ARG, Honda): +11h:29s
7. Alain Duclos (FRA, Sherco): +12h:51s
8. Lia Sanz (ESP, Honda): +13h:48s
9. Stefan Svitko (SVK, KTM): +13h:51s
10. Michael Metge (FRA, Yamaha): +04h:32s
OVERALL STANDINGS AFTER STAGE 4:
1. Barreda: 13h:10m:33s
2. Coma: +12m:49s
3. Goncalves: +20m:29s
4. Faria: +23m:05s
5. Viladoms: +24m:51s
6. Qunitanilla: +30m:42s
7. Price: +32m:05s
8. Walkner: +33h:28s
9. Duclos: +36h:31s
10. Helder Rodrigues (POR, Honda): +39m:05s